Hey, I was hoping you would check out my Blog.

Thanks for coming by to check out my random musings. I hope you get to know a little more about me, and maybe by doing so will understand just a little more why I am the way I am. Take a look around, feel free to ask a question, and please stow all person items under the seat in front of you.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

What is with all the cursing on Facebook?

F-bombs here, S-bombs there, B-bombs over there, here comes an A-bomb....is there an X-bomb? I didn't think so , just wanted to throw it out there. 

I have noticed a slow steady slide to promote more Fan Pages on Facebook with cursing as part of the title of the page, more postings with cursing in the message, and responses with more cursing in them. 

I understand that sometimes a curse word best portrays the level of exuberance or anger in a message.  I on occassion have thrown some out in my own life.  I am not perfect, somewhere deep inside I still kind of feel like I could have gotten the same message across without cursing....that thought is quickly dissolved in some level of internal smirk or passing grimace.

The problem I have with the gentle increase in cursing is that it seems that these words are becoming adverbs and adjectives that are replacing perfectly fine words like very, alot, plenty, or crazy.

I know that just today I was viewing my FB friend list and noticed I had close to 20 "friends" that were under 15 years of age....alot of those are closer to 10 or younger.  I think they relate to my level of maturity.

Look, I don't pretend to think that this post will change minds or rally a level of internal thought to banish curse words to Siberia, ( on a side note, take my poodles with you...that post will be for another day ).  I just wonder how many of you have thrown out an F-bomb or S-bomb or as I hypothesized before maybe an X-bomb...that maybe there is an impressionable young mind out there thiking Wow! maybe its OK if I use that word with my friends.  I wouldn't want my 5 year old or 16 month old tossing out A-bombs or F-bombs like bird seed to a flock of pidgeons....X-bombs?  Is that kind of like an X-box?

2 comments:

  1. I had a college professor once tell me people who use a lot of profanity usually just aren't intelligent or creative enough to think of a more non-offensive term. So they just take the lazy way out. I tend to agree. The more disgusting language someone uses the less education they tend to have. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I wish I could go the rest of my life without saying a filthy word. I just get too fired up sometimes. Pray for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you know me. I can throw out some ruthless combinations with the best of them. I am not proud of it either, except for the really ridiculous phrases that just make me laugh out loud. Even then I often think to myself that if amongst another group of friends or family I would be horrified by my actions. In reality, I try to express my thoughts or humor in more arbitrary methods or in off the wall ways. I think today I saw like four Facebook Pages where the Page had cursing as the key component in each title. I had kind of dwelled upon the real need to set that out for anybody to read , including as you probably know a number of young children. Which is a different subject for another day. The more disgusting language someone uses the less education they tend to have....I think there is something to that...but to agree with you once again there is an exception to every rule....I will glady pray for you, if you will be so kind to return the favor pal.

    Your friend,

    T.C.

    ReplyDelete