Hey, I was hoping you would check out my Blog.

Thanks for coming by to check out my random musings. I hope you get to know a little more about me, and maybe by doing so will understand just a little more why I am the way I am. Take a look around, feel free to ask a question, and please stow all person items under the seat in front of you.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Corley...here's your chance, don't bore me to death the first time OK!

I hope I am not the only one who thinks to themselves that they are a pitiful excuse of a parent in comparison to their own.  I have a great Mom and Dad.  I work for my Dad, I am afraid he may be getting senile because he hired me and has yet to fire me..but I appreciate him for that.  My Mom is the hardest working Retired Person I have ever met.  She works four or five days a week at a part time position with the State of Georgia.  I was thinking to myself how would they handle a situation when I was little.  My daughter Addy has cheerleading or tumbling practice everyday.  The little rascal is as athletic as they come, but after practice she becomes a real hand full.  Her newest thing is to ignore everything I say, untill I get to the point of extreme aggrevation.  That brings me back to my Mom and Dad.  My Mom as many know was an Assistant Principal during my formulative years and a Principal in my " Dear God, I hope Mom and Dad don't find out " years.  She had a special type of punishment that would bring me to attention everytime, its hallmark was the steely cold phrase of " You wait 'till your Dad gets home".  That one phrase evoked fear in me like no other!  I would become panic stricken, those things that I once enjoyed would hold no value to me like the subtle intricacies of an afternoon episode of G.I. Joe or the culinary richness of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a cold glass of milk.  I knew what time Dad got home too.  Those subtle flashes of horror when other vehicles would drive by the house, or telephone calls enquiring upon our TV Guide needs and wants.  Then he would get home.  Mom would quickly huddle with Dad as they made their plans and readied for my punishment.  The buildup was always worse than the punishment.  That brings me back to Addy and her verbal embargo with me in the afternoons.  The girl is sweet as the day is long, but she can turn on the "Addy"tude as Eileen and I like to remind ourselves.  I am still ( some 5 and a half years later ) trying to grasp the concept of being a Dad to a little girl.  My reaction as a child are completely different than hers are now.  I often end every night scratching my head , wondering if she understood my point and punishment or more likely, she tired of dealing with the lesser intellect and just decided to be through with me for the day.  I am trying to figure this stuff out...I am unquestionably hopeless in some regards, I guess its why I often say to myself " Corley, are you for real ?".....

I'll get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment